Little Bow Pleat by Duchess and Hare

A funny pun and a pretty dress - The Little Bow Pleat Dress by Duchess and Hare is a winning combination.


This gorgeous dress makes the most of some clever colour blocking. Angled pieces in the skirt form the tails of the bows (handstitched in place at the waistband). There's also a box pleat lurking under those bow tails for some extra fullness and structure.



This dress was the perfect opportunity to bring out some poplin that had been sitting in my stash for a while. I found the mint green with gold butterflies on the clearance table a while ago, and bought a couple of metres.  A month or two later, I added a metre of the lilac (mauve? - it's not quite pink, and not quite purple). But I hadn't encountered a suitable pattern until now.



Between the bows and the gold butterflies, there's been no trouble convincing this girl to try on her new dress.

The pattern has options for a sweetheart or straight neckline, capped or ruffle sleeves and a full or slim skirt. Here we have the sweetheart neckline, with ruffle sleeves and a slim skirt.



The back closure is an invisible zipper. I think I prefer these to buttons. They can seem more tricky than buttons, but honestly, they're quicker, and give such a beautiful finish.



The pattern includes a broad range of sizes, from size 2 to 12. I do like knowing those extra sizes are there for the future. It still seems  a long way off, but we're in size 7 territory these days. So patterns that go higher than 10 are always exciting.



I am a fan of the Duchess and Hare's combination of vintage styling with practical, wearable clothes.  My daughter wore this dress to her ballet class last week (it was mufti fundraiser), and was able to all her normal dance moves.


The pattern is on sale for release, until Sunday March 17. This dress was a big hit with my daughter. And the are enough options to switch things around and keep me entertained. I can definitely see more versions of this dress in the future. Check out the pattern, and the other gorgeous new releases in the Duchess and Hare Pattern Shop.


Comments

  1. Not a fan of bows here, but I like the detail with the colorblocking. It's a tough one ;-)
    I do love your fabric combination. Don't get me started on the sweetheart neckline. Totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts