Tragedy (and another FO)

I've posted before about the blanket I knitted for our llama while I was pregnant here.


I like to think he loved it. It was a lovely size for a pram, and being knitted, he liked to suck on it when feeling a little sleepy, or whenever he got his hands on it. (Elijah's ears a looking a little worse for wear because of his taste for knitted objects) It was special, cause I made it just for him, before I knew him. I took the squares along to appointments with the obstetrician, in the car on road trips, whenever I needed a project that I could grab and take with me at a moments notice. And with all the grafting involved I'm ever so confident whenever I come to a sock toe, or soaker gusset.

Alas, the blanket is lost.

Probably in Target at Shellharbour. But nobody has handed it in.

So after a day or two of mourning, I started thinking of a replacement. I'm now thinking something blue and cabled. I've had a look around, and nothing is quite what I fancy, so it looks like I shall have to design one myself (not so hard, it's just a rectangle with some cables running around).

While I've been pondering this future blanket, I have actually finished a cardigan (buttons and all).


This baby cardigan will either go to a friend's son, or enter the stash of 'cardigans to be distributed as babies arrive'.

The construction is really interesting. Starting at the bottom front, you knit up and over (splitting for the neck, then rejoining at the back). The sleeves are made by casting on then casting off stitches, with the cuffs picked up at the end. Only 2 seams and 3 buttons. What a lovely pattern.



While I remember I have been meaning to thank RubyGirl for asking if the striped jumper was a top down raglan (on account of the stripe alignment). What a compliment! As there are seams lurking in there ... very carefully counted mattress stitch seams.


And on the matter of baby socks. Charmaine should recognise those socks keeping his feet warm. Such a useful baby present. Right when he was big enough that most outfits no longer had feet, and the weather turned cold, there was a stash of socks to keep those tootsies warm. They're probably a little small now (we have a large-footed llama), but I can still squeeze them on in a pinch. Of course the ability to find only one sock of a pair is seriously exacerbated when they are so small, and can lurk in all manner of places.

Comments

  1. Oh gosh, so sorry to hear about the blanket. :(
    I would be heartbroken too if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's so sad that you lost the blanket. I would have had a little cry if that were me! Nice excuse to knit another one though. Red sweater is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I would like to learn how to crouchet here in Abu dhabi... do you have any idea of what I should do, thanks.
    Ami

    pls email me, amiraj82@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, that is so sad! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for a replacement though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really random request...I am currently knitting a baby jumper in Dashing (from Spotlight) and I have run out of the yarn. I only need about one ball or less to finish it, but Spotlight informs me that they no longer sell this yarn. I noticed on your blog that you knitted a blouse out of the same yarn, in the same colour (a kind of ice blue) last year. I was wondering if you have any leftovers that I could buy from you? Sorry to bother you!! If you have any left and could give it up pls let me know and I will pay for postage (to Sydney) etc. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts