Over here, we're starting to say goodbye to Summer. We've had 2-3 weeks on constant rainy weather, it's getting darker in the mornings and the doona's back on the end of the bed (although usually pushed down to the bottom).
But the Lemon Drop Dress is like a drop of sunshine that has been keeping winter at bay.
The pattern has options for a dress or tunic length, with or without a ruffle at the bottom.
And the gathered pockets are just gorgeous.
There is an amazing technique for getting the binding on the pockets just right. I must confess that I often have to go back and add a little hand stitching her or there to catch binding I might miss. But my stitching was spot on with these pockets.
Tie Dye Diva patterns were some of the first pdf sewing patterns I tried, so it's pretty special to be able to test a pattern.
As usual the pattern is well written, with a good level of words and pictures. There are plenty of tips to help you get a great finish, and a beautiful garment.
This dress is a size 5 that has been lengthened to a size 6 (for my slender girl). There are instructions on how to do this included in the pattern. The fit is meant to be a little loose and flowing. Perfect for warm summer days, or for allowing room to pop a t-shirt underneath.
I dare say this dress will be still on high rotation come the cooler months, with a long sleeve tee and a pair of leggings. It's very versatile, and great for twirling.
For this version I used a vintage sheet for the main skirt, a fat quarter for the bodice and pockets, and some random broadcloth from my stash for the straps and pocket binding. I really struggle to combine two or more patterned fabrics, so I'm pretty pleased with how the purples pinks and oranges work together in this dress.
Can we just take a moment to reflect on the fussy cut placement for the front bodice .....
.... and behold the wonder of snaps covered in matching fabric (how close are the oranges in those fabrics!). I read about it in the latest issue of One Thimble (affiliate link), and now I can't get enough of fabric covered snaps.
The pattern is also available for American Girl and Wellie Wisher dolls. We have an Australian Girl doll that I have yet to sew for. Unfortunately, she has had a hair cut, and a sharpie tattoo on her calf, so no pattern testing for Annabelle. But I think a matching dress is on the cards.
The pattern is reduced to $7.50 (US) for release, and can be found here.
As an extra bonus for making it all the way to the end of this post, here's one more photo of a dress made with an earlier version of the pattern. This one has a ruffle (included in the final pattern), and the final version is a little looser in fit.